POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : bluray and pixar : Re: bluray and pixar Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bluray and pixar
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Nov 2007 10:47:54
Message: <4745a4aa$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I mean 4x the number of pixels (2x lines + 2x columns).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Common_Video_Resolutions.svg
>
> I was looking for that before but couldn't find it...

Ah yes, it's coming back to me now... Some "HD" TVs only actually
support the lowest HD resolution, and some support higher ones. (I
wonder if the same goes for "HD" transmissions and "HD" disks?)

> Also I found a few screen-caps:
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/images/0604DoraCreds2b-x.jpg
> http://www.bur.st/~anthony/dba/160206/stateoftheunion_1.jpg
>
> Now, if you can't tell the difference...

These images look different to me. (I notice one is photographic and the
other isn't...)

All I said was I was in a shop looking at one of their fantastic HD TVs
and there was little if any apparent difference. Yeah, the picture was a
little bit sharper, but nothing to get excited about.

I see three possibilities:

1. The TV they were proudly displaying was actually rubbish.

2. The signal they were feeding it with was naff.

3. There's little actual difference between HD and SD.

These possibilities do not appear to be muturally exclusive.